|Java mom with chick|
- Java chickens are usually black, but also come in white, mottled and auburn. They are solid, sturdy birds.
- The Java was developed as a pioneer breed in the USA from various Asian breeds sometime before the mid 1800’s.
- Javas are large, well built chickens with stocky bodies and large breasts. Java roosters average over 9lbs and hens over 6 lbs.
- Javas have gentle dispositions.
- A hardy, dual purpose breed the Java are suited to both meat and egg production.
- They are also economical eaters and superb foragers.
- Javas are great mothers.